Monday 10 March 2008

Why does wind close schools?

There are some days when I am very glad that I can work from home. The wind and rain are beating on my window, the Orwell Bridge is closed to traffic and BBC Radio Suffolk are announcing some schools are closed.

I can never get my head around why the schools close for bad weather now. When I was at Luther Road Primary school in Ipswich, I don't ever remember it closing unexpectedly. We'd wade through the snow with frozen mittens ( safely on a crocheted string through our coat sleeves), battle against gales or arrive with soaked gabardine macs but School Would Open. A teacher delayed on their journey? We piled into the next door class or waited in the school hall until she got there. Power failure? We put our coats on.

My sons went to Grange Junior School in Felixstowe then to Deben High School. The only day that closed was the day of The Great Storm, in October 1987.

Working in local radio I battled into Ipswich that day, and through numerous snowy days, so that I could join my colleagues ensuring that Snowline, or Stormline or whatever, could be broadcast. Mind you, I did get the despairing call or two from listeners who had told their bosses that Felixstowe was cut off and they wouldn't be at work and were anxious that because I was so publicly at my desk they would fired!

So why does the current young generation have so many days when schools are closed? Will they assume that they will be allowed a paid day off work when they are earning a living, whenever the weather is inclement?

Just realised I sound like one the Grump Old Women off the TV! The talk today is that the weather is getting worse so perhaps the schools that have opened and decided now to close are right.... poor parents though!

I have just spotted a great set of photos posted by Margaret Nelson from Suffolk - some-one I have interviewed many times in my career but usual; about being a Humanist.




Perhaps I should arrange an interview with her about cloudspotting?

No comments: